What is SCADA?
Supervisory Control and data acquisition software
Making Use of Operational Data
SCADA is not a specific technology, but a type of application. SCADA is an acronym for supervisory control and data acquisition. Any application that uses operating data from a system to control and optimise it is a SCADA application. An example of a SCADA application could be a petrochemical distillation process, a water filtration system, a pipeline compressor, or any application used to understand and improve the way a system functions.
Remaining competitive requires continuous improvement across operations. A world class SCADA system can provide gains in efficiency and productivity, reduce costs and waste, and offer greater control over disparate systems.
Key Criteria for Selecting the Best SCADA Software
SCADA software is a long-term investment in efficiency. Selecting the best SCADA software requires a consideration of how the system will evolve over the course of 15 years, the typical lifecycle of SCADA systems. If you aren’t certain how your system will evolve, be certain you choose SCADA software with capability to scale up to meet your needs. Be sure also that the software provider has a history of supporting new and emerging technology, so you have the flexibility to incorporate new functionality, platforms, communication protocols, and best-of-breed systems as your business changes and grows.
Consider the following points when evaluating SCADA software:
- What are the short and long-term corporate objectives? Is the proposed automation consistent with these objectives? Is the goal to deliver greater efficiency? Cost reduction? Improved situational awareness?
- How can the system help you leverage available data for the largest gains?
- How will the SCADA software integrate disparate systems into a single, intuitive dashboard, and how well can it communicate with the individual machines or your MES?
- How mobile is your SCADA solution? Can you view and interact with your data when and where you need access?
AVEVA SCADA Software Solutions Enable Organisations to:
- Improve production quantity and quality, while reducing costs and waste.
- Realise efficiency gains across various systems.
- Increase asset availability, and lengthen the lifecycle of a system.
- Improve equipment performance.
- Reduce maintenance costs.
Real-World Success with System Platform
Learn how 9REN Group monitors its extensive network of renewable energy generation plants with the help of System Platform, InTouch, Historian and Historian Client.
Meet Citect SCADA
Learn more about why Citect SCADA is our leading industrial SCADA solution for a variety of industrial applications.
Making Sense of Alarms
Learn about how our HMI and SCADA customers can benefit from the latest alarm analysis enhancements in Alarm Adviser 2017.
Discover the Latest News and Resources
Check out the latest news, blogs, events, webinars, and success stories.
Realize the benefits of IIoT and analyze data in the cloud...
CAMBRIDGE, UK – March 1, 2018 – Schneider Electric, the...
Embrace Your Digital Transformation
Contact us to get started on your journey today.