What is SCADA?
Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition Software
Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition
A Foundation for Operational Excellence
SCADA is not a specific technology, but a type of application. Any application that gets operating data about a system in order to control and optimise that system is a SCADA application. That application may be a petrochemical distillation process, a water filtration system, a pipeline compressor, or just about anything else.
SCADA automation is simply the means to an end, and not the end itself. All businesses converge on the need for maximising return on assets through operational excellence. Staying competitive means continually finding new ways to operate faster and leaner. The pressure is always on to increase productivity, efficiency, agility, quality, and profitability, all while minimising costs.
Remaining competitive requires continuous improvement across operations. A world class SCADA system can provide gains in efficiency and productivity, reduce costs and waste, and offer greater control over disparate systems.
Key Criteria for Selecting the Best SCADA Software
SCADA software is a long-term investment in efficiency. Selecting the best SCADA software requires a consideration of how the system will evolve over the course of 15 years, the typical lifecycle of SCADA systems. If you aren’t certain how your system will evolve, be certain you choose SCADA software with capability to scale up to meet your needs. Be sure also that the software provider has a history of supporting new and emerging technology, so you have the flexibility to incorporate new functionality, platforms, communication protocols, and best-of-breed systems as your business changes and grows.
AVEVA SCADA Software Solutions Enable Organisations to:
- Improve production quantity and quality, while reducing costs and waste.
- Realise efficiency gains across various systems.
- Increase asset availability, and lengthen the lifecycle of a system.
- Improve equipment performance.
- Reduce maintenance costs.
Consider the following points when evaluating SCADA software:
If you are tasked with selecting a SCADA system for your company, start by considering how your requirements will evolve over the next 15 years, which is typically the lifecycle of SCADA systems. Are you able to write a detailed RFI or system requirements document that covers 15 years of evolving automation maturity?
Of course it is nearly impossible to predict your changing automation needs, especially as the connectivity capabilities of plant equipment change. As such, it is critical to understand not only what the available technology can do for you today, but also to find an automation partner familiar with the potential of emerging technology to guide you in responding to questions.
Key Questions to Ponder When Selecting SCADA Software
- What are the short and long-term corporate objectives? Is the proposed automation consistent with these objectives?
- What under-the-hood functionality will really help the business over the long haul?
- How will the technology eliminate or reduce current inefficiencies and costs?
- How can the system help you leverage available data for the largest gains?
- How will the SCADA software integrate disparate systems into a single, intuitive dashboard, and how well can it communicate with the individual machines or your MES?
- How mobile is your SCADA solution? Can you view and interact with your data when and where you need access?
Challenges Addressed by SCADA
A properly executed SCADA automation infrastructure allows businesses to better answer the operational questions such as “How do I …"
- Make more, better, and with less cost?
- Increase asset availability? Lifecycle?
- Improve equipment performance?
- Produce higher quality product?
- Reduce maintenance costs?
SCADA Automation Must Protect Engineering Investments
One of the fundamental principles of any SCADA product is to add new capabilities to an existing system in manageable bites. Engineering effort has traditionally been a big part of any company’s investment in industrial software.
AVEVA offers a winning strategy for meeting complex and evolving automation requirements and system expansion while protecting initial engineering investments. System Platform is a modular platform with plug-and-play components that provide additional capability without compromising — or even touching —the underlying automation infrastructure.
Complete Industrial Automation
System Platform is a centralised management suite that integrates your people, information, and assets.
Discover the Latest News and Resources
Check out the latest news, blogs, events, webinars, and success stories.
If you’re among the 35% of all industrial facilities using...
Got InTouch? Get Historian and Unlock More Value From Your...
Embrace Your Digital Transformation
Contact us to get started on your journey today.